I’ve been a little bit obsessed with ramen ever since I discovered Tonkotsu ramen at Sakuramen in Washington D.C., so I’ve decided I want to try all the different types. Below I’ve listed the different ramen broths and varieties, ramen destinations on my wish list and my favorite ramen shops. Feel free to comment on your favorite shops so I can update my list.
-Tonkotsu: has a thick, creamy broth made from boiling pork bones, fat, and collagen
-Miso: made from Miso paste, soy sauce, and broth (varies)
-Shoyu: soy sauce flavored broth
-Shio: a lighter, saltier broth
Regional ramen varieties:
Related ramen dishes and destinations:
-Shinyokohama Ramen Museum in Yokohama
-vending machine ramen in can
I’m just at the beginning of my ramen journey, but here is my current list of favorite ramen shops (rated on a scale of 1-5):
- Sakuramen in Washington D.C. (see photo below of Tonkotsu Red-level 4 in spiciness) ?????
- Oki Bowl in Washington D.C. ?????
- Goma Tei in Honolulu ????
- Daikokuya in Los Angeles ????
- Ramen Tatsu-ya in Austin, TX ???
(Emoji provided free by EmojiOne.)